The Ultra Tour of Monte Rosa - an account of the 170km four-day stage race




Standing at the start at 5:45am in the Doftplatz in Grachen, I felt strangely calm. It was dark but the sky was clear. Our timing chips had been scanned and we listened to the first of our early morning briefings. The countdown to 6am began. Exactly on time, and to the sound of alpenhorns, we set off on our epic four-day, 170km journey through forest, alps and high mountain passes following the route of the Tour of Monte Rosa through Switzerland and Italy. 


During the last six months, I had been on several start-lines where I had felt full of apprehension: out of my depth and worried about cut-off times. In spite of this, Mickleden Straddle, Edale Skyline, Big Black Mountain Challenge, Jura, The LAMM, Holme Moss had all been completed successfully. Now at Grachen on the start-line of the UTMR it was different - I knew that I had managed all these races; I had trained by doing long runs in the Peak and some long back to back days in the Lakes. Last year Dave and I had done a training camp with Lizzie Hawker covering most of the UTMR route so I knew what lie ahead. I felt ready and confident.


We had arrived in Grachen two days previously. We spent a day walking the final section which we hadn’t reccee’d last year and this served as acclimatisation. On the second day, the day before the race, we went on an early morning 5km run with other competitors and some of the UTMR team, including Lizzie Hawker and Richard Bull. In the afternoon, kit was checked, chip timers were on our wrists and trackers taped on to our race vests. All was looking good.

Image www.ultratourmonterosa.com
The Day 1 route had had to be changed a few days before the event due to rockfall on the Europaweg – a common occurrence as this high-level traverse is very unstable. The new route took us down into the main valley with easy running along to Randa and a steep 850m climb upto the first checkpoint at the Europahutte. This was the first real challenge. I was climbing strongly and passed several people but even so I was pleased to reach the checkpoint and have some coffee, coke and food. I drank more Coca Cola on this race than I have ever done in my life. It really works! They told me that about 100 people had passed through the checkpoint and since I knew that 160 people had started the 4 stage event, I was pleased that I seemed to be going well. 

After a brief stop, a descent led to the longest suspension footbridge in the world. We were advised to walk this – it does sway quite a lot! An enjoyable section of the Europaweg followed with lots of runnable bits interspersed with some rocky and exposed sections protected by chains and ropes to hold on to. The run into the second checkpoint at Taschalp was much quicker than I remembered from the training camp and after a quick change into shorts, I set off on the final section and descent into Zermatt. I was pleased with my time of 7.5 hours. We measured the first day as 39 km and 2570m ascent and descent. I was in 87th place which I was delighted with. I had some soup, found Dave and had the afternoon to relax and prepare for the next day.

First view of The Matterhorn on Day 1

On the 4 stage event bags are transported round for you and accommodation is provided in local hotels so it is relatively luxurious. Meals were in local restaurants or provided centrally. Pasta featured heavily and there was always lots of it. 

I didn’t have much sleep and it was soon time to get up to be at the start for 5:45am. The forecast for Day 2 was worrying with thunder, rain and possible snow at 3000m predicted. The sky was clear at 6am as we started, which was very reassuring as this was the day of the glacier crossing and highest pass on the UTMR. A 2 km run through the town got me warmed up for the gradual 1400m climb to the first checkpoint at Gandegghutte, with fabulous views of the Matterhorn. This was followed by a short run to the start of the glacier. Having crossed this glacier on the training camp, I knew it was not difficult. It is a 300m climb and, using poles to prevent a possible slip, it is just a matter of placing your feet carefully and firmly, mainly following the edge of a ski-piste which is maintained throughout the year for glacier ski-ing and snow-boarding. 

At the top of the glacier you reach the highest point of the trip at 3300m. There follows an amazing moonscape of moraine to run through, made very ugly by ski-development. However it’s amazing to be running at 10000ft and the second check point is soon reached. After a quick drink, I picked up a cheese panini (we were now in Italy) and started a short climb and then a long runnable descent down a beautiful valley to the third checkpoint at Refugio Ferraro. Here I had a lovely surprise as Digby from Pennine Fell Runners was manning the checkpoint. He was due to do the 170km continuous ultra but unfortunately was injured and had decided to volunteer. All the checkpoint volunteers were lovely, friendly and helpful but seeing someone you know gives you a real boost.


At Refugio Ferraro

Reluctantly leaving the checkpoint, I knew that there was is another pass to go over. This climb is relatively short at about 700m but it goes on and on with several false summits and to make matters worse we had gone an easier way on the training camp so I didn’t know what was in store and by now it was raining. Eventually, of course, the top came and the descent into Gressoney via ski-roads and tracks was straightforward. It had taken me 10.5 hours to do a marathon length day with about 3000m ascent and descent. I was still able to run along the valley and into the town at the end of the stage. Again, I was happy with my time but I knew I was facing the hardest day in Day 3.

The 170km ultra runners had set off at 4am this morning and the first runner passed us on the last descent into the town. I was so glad I had a night in a bed and not a night facing the difficult terrain and tremendous climbs and descents that make up our Day 3. I knew Nicky Spinks was out there and wondered how she was doing.

Day 3 consists of two climbs of 1700m and 1500m with a big descent to the town of Alagna in between. It is an epic day. We set off again at 6am and started with a run round the town before a steep climb through the forest to a ski station. I had realised that it was important to run these initial town sections quite fast so that when the single track climbs came you were in a good position and not held up by people climbing more steadily than you. This was quite hard to do at the start of the third long day. But I got going and after reaching a ski station a more runnable section and then another climb led to the first checkpoint at the Passo dei Salati. The long descent started with a technical section and then a long valley which led to the lovely old alpine settlements above Alagna where a lovely lady had provided free tea “for the athletes”. I was amused to be called an athlete! I thought at this point that I was nearly in Alagna but there was a steep forest section to go and then a run through the town. It was hot and it was an effort to keep running to reach the checkpoint and then I nearly ran past it which would have been a disaster! Fortunately, there was an excellent range of food and drinks which allowed me to stoke up for the second climb of the day.

Typical UTMR scenery

Leaving Alagna, there is a long fairly flat track before the climb out of the valley. Everyone around me was walking and I did the same – although later I regretted that I hadn’t gone faster as I was under time pressure towards the end of the day. After the initial climb there is a beautiful alp which is very popular with families. This is followed by a long zigzag climb of 1500m to the Col del Turlo. After being encouraged and given water by a couple of mountain rescue people stationed about 500m from the top, a final half hour brought me to the top of the pass.

I knew that the final descent of the day was very long. The path here is supposed to have been built by the Romans and restored by prisoners of war in the second world war. Most of it is very solid and it looks like it should be good running but you have to watch every step as some of the slabs move and were damp and slippery because there had been some rain. The descent goes on and on and becomes is quite technical. By now my toes hurt and every rock and tree root jarred. Eventually I reached the valley bottom but this was followed by several kilometres through woods, still descending with more rocks and tree roots to contend with. I reached the checkpoint at 4:50pm with a cut off for the end of the day at 6pm. I was told there was still 5.8 km to go. I had some more coke! Logic said I would make it easily to the overnight stop in Macugnaga but my Garmin had run out of battery and I felt I needed to run as quickly as I could to ensure I reached the town in time. This was turning out to be a very long day. The 5.8km was on an easy forest track and I just kept running. I reached the town but it was on the other side of the river and we had to run right past the town and over a bridge at the far end of the village then through the village and into the finish funnel. I arrived with half an hour to spare but I knew there were lots of people behind me. Someone who I knew from the training camp handed me a piece of pizza – it was the best thing ever! 30 miles and 3300m of ascent and descent makes you hungry! I’d finished in 11.5 hours and in fact they extended the cut-off by 20 minutes because the day's route had turned out to be longer than the race schedule had stated. I felt very sorry for those at the back some of whom were out for 14 hours. There was a live band in the square just in front of our hotel balcony and announcements with regular updates on the other races and competitors. Nicky Spinks had completed the 170km ultra in 37 hours – I was completely in awe of how she could have done it in that time over that terrain.

Image www.ultratourmonterosa.com
For the first time the next morning, I felt a stiff and my toenails hurt. I taped them up as best as I could. Once I had negotiated the stairs in the hotel and got my shoes on I felt ok. One day to go and I knew I could finish. Last year this first section of Day 4 was my favourite part of the route and I was looking forward to seeing the statue of the Golden Madonna at the top of the Monte Moro pass. I ran fast out of Macugnaga and got in a good position for the climb up to Monte Moro. We were treated to the most amazing sunrise on Monte Rosa and the dawn promised a completely clear and sunny day. It did not let us down. The climb is 1500m over 7km and I knew the top was very rocky with chains and iron steps to help negotiate what I think is the most technical part of the whole route. What I had not bargained for was ice covering the rocks. I wondered initially why my Roclite 305s, which had been excellent so far were skating around on the rock until I reached a wooden railing which was covered in frost and it dawned on me that it was icy. Pulling up on the chains helped and I was soon at the checkpoint. This was one of the best checkpoints of the whole race but I couldn’t stop for long though as it was very busy and I felt I had to move through. The apple strudel went down well though.

The initial descent over the icy rocks was a nightmare and I lost about 20 places as I went cautiously down where others were prepared to slip and slide. Once down, I ran quickly along a lakeshore, through forests and down a long track towards Sass Fee. The final part was uphill and I had to maintain a fast walk as the cut-off was approaching. I was a bit alarmed to have only 20 minutes to spare but Digby was there at the checkpoint again and he assured me that the second half of the day was shorter and that I would make it easily before the deadline of 6pm, even if I walked. He also said, “Only an ascent of Ben Nevis and 20km left” which was a bit daunting.  I fuelled up and took some extra supplies to eat on the way as today, for the first time, I felt I needed to eat continuously to keep going.

I set off from the checkpoint at a fast walk up the road out of the town and climbed easily up onto the Hohenweg which is a high level traversing path at a height of between 2100m and 2400m all the way to the final checkpoint at Hannigalp. This path is lovely – technical in places with chains to protect you, some bouldery parts, some wooded sections and some easy trail running. It is surprisingly up and down but it did not feel like an ascent of Ben Nevis fortunately! My last few jelly babies supplemented with a few peanuts did their job and I could feel the energy they gave as I kept on moving as quickly as I could, eating every few minutes. Eventually I reached Hannigalp and the final checkpoint where I had more coke and flapjack and the lovely lady told me it was just 3.8 km of easy descent to the finish. Unfortunately, my toenails really hurt now and it took me quite a while to get down and I couldn’t keep up with the lovely girl who suggested we run in together.

It was fabulous when the town came into sight and I was soon on tarmac leading down into the village centre. The music, announcements and cowbells got closer and closer and I was running into the finishing funnel. I had completed Day 4 in exactly 11 hours and the whole UTMR in just under 40 hours. Lizzie Hawker put a medal, a Swiss army knife(!) and Nepali prayer scarf around my neck and Digby gave me a beer. The adventure was over and I was delighted to have finished in 94th place. 160 people started, 118 finished and I was the 5th V50+ lady. There was no V60 category but I think that I was the oldest lady to finish. The celebrations continued into the evening.

Dave and I at the finish
If you fancy running in Europe this is definitely one to consider. There are not the crowds of the UTMB races, the route is very thoroughly marked with orange flags, tape and chalk all the way and, although they provide GPX tracks, I never needed to look at them at all. Mostly I was running with other people and I met people from all over the world. It was very friendly with everyone looking out for each other and the volunteers at the checkpoints were great. We measured the course as 175km with nearly 12000m of ascent and descent and it goes over some very technical and remote mountain terrain. It is, in the words of Lizzy Hawker “brutal, beautiful and brilliant and, in stages, a lot of fun.” It was!

Uncreditted photos by Digby Harris

Comments

  1. Fantastic write up Chris. Makes me very jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Chris you are one tough lady. Great write-up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A "holiday" with Lizzy Hawker

GVS have fun in Grasmere